Missions March 2010

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dead is what the Master wants...

Often in the Bible we see so many dead things being used by God. For instance, the story of Lazarus in John 11, the widow's son in I Kings 17, and the ruler's daughter in Luke 8. In all of these passages we find the frailty of humanity revealed. Death comes to everyone. No one has ever found an escape from death.
Finding death in our lives is not a bad thing. In fact, this is how John felt as he stood before Jesus:
"And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death." Revelations 1:17-18
But in the world we live in today, the devil is looking to steal this sense of death and guilt from each and every person. We find in Turkey a sense of fatalism that has been integrated into this culture through its religion. This makes people ok with living for today and ok with dying tomorrow. But where is the sense of reality? For there is someone we all stand and fall before, and there is a need for guilt in our life. For it is at this place that we find healing.
"Guilt admitted is guilt forgiven."
We cannot suppress reality forever. But as Jesus talked to the woman at the well: “Go, call your husband, and come here.” The woman answered and said, “I have no husband.” Jesus said to her, “You have well said, ‘I have no husband,’ for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly.” (John 4:16-18) We see this woman being asked to come to grips with reality - her sin. In this story, healing comes from honesty of "guilt admitted" because there Jesus forgives.
So we find that dying with Christ is living with Christ. For when He died, we died with Him; and when He was resurrected, we rose with Him. A new life is given to those who die with the Savior. We exchange our old life for a new life, and its a life worth living! But if I hold on to my old life, as one famous author said, "Guilt never sleeps."

No comments: